- 1 lemons
- 1 (2.5 pound) whole chickens
- 1 large onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Remove and discard any giblets, then thoroughly rinse the chicken inside and out.
- Pierce lemons several times with a fork, and place 1 inside each chicken cavity. Arrange chickens in the center of the prepared baking dish.
- Place onions, shallots, and garlic around the chickens. Sprinkle vegetables with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread butter over the chickens, and line each with thyme sprigs.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan and bake uncovered for 2 to 2-1/2 hours at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C).
- When finished cooking the chicken will no longer be pink in the center, and the juices will run clear.
- Let the chicken stand for 10 minutes before carving.