- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Remove and discard any giblets, then thoroughly rinse the chicken inside and out.
- Cut the chicken into halves and place them cut side down in a 9x13x2 inch (23x33x5 cm) baking dish or pan.
- In a bowl, combine sugar, soy sauce, grated ginger, garlic. Pour the mixture over chicken.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Baste every 15 minutes with pan drippings,
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C).
- When finished cooking the chicken will no longer be pink in the center, and the juices will run clear.
- Let the chicken stand for 10 minutes before carving.