- 1 (4 pound) whole chicken
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 onions, quartered
- Remove and discard any giblets, then thoroughly rinse the chicken inside and out.
- In a bowl, combine the spices. Rub the mixture of spices over the chicken, inside and out.
- Put the vegetables inside of the chicken for baking.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan and bake uncovered for 5 hours, at 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C).
- When finished cooking the chicken will no longer be pink in the center, and the juices will run clear.
- Let the chicken stand for 10 minutes before carving.